Sunday, June 29, 2008

TEN



Day 10: The General. No political message here, I'm just drawing a picture that popped into my head today. It's actually paying homage to a bust I saw in an Art Museum back in Washington DC. I think the bust is called "The General".

I love the Art world. I love Modern Art, however, my artwork isn't usually driven by politics. I enjoyed this bust so much as a kid because it was so vivid and unusual. It really popped out from the crowd, and I loved it. If anyone could give me pics, or a link to the artist who created the bust, I would deeply appreciate it. I'm headed back to VA this July, so I might have time to look for it and update this blog with further information concerning "The General".

UPDATE: The bust is called "General Nuke", created in 1984 by Robert Arneson. It was at the Hirshhorn Museum in Washington DC, but it currently isn't on display. Click HERE to see a side of it. Here's a blogger's take on the statue: HERE

Thanks to my Dad for sending the information in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've looked and looked on google, but I can't find it. I knew right away what sculpture you mean... but I just can't find it. Odd. - Dad

Anonymous said...

I spoke too fast. Here it is: "General Nuke," by Robert Arneson.

http://hirshhorn.si.edu/visit/collection_object.asp?key=32&subkey=2563

Dad

Anonymous said...

Very nice. That's good how you remembered it so well since you saw it in real life. I will say I like the nose on your drawing more than the nose on the bust. The statue's nose looks a bit too um... erect for me.